I think it’s safe to say that 2016 was an interesting year for all of us. With all of the critical global issues facing humanity, I have to admit that I left 2016 with a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. However, as I’ve taken more time to reflect on the year behind us as well as the year ahead, I’ve considered the responsibility that we all have to shape the storyline of the years to come. These global challenges make it all the more important that we continue to do everything we can to create positive change in our local communities. With this in mind I would like to share a few of our New Year’s resolutions for Driver’s Market in 2017:
- To make an even stronger commitment to the values upon which we were founded: to provide a space for our local community to gather and share ideas and experiences; to source ethically produced foods that are healthy for the body and the mind; to continually strive to educate ourselves and our community on the important issues that we face as a society; and to use our influence as a small business to affect positive change in the world.
- To continue finding the best and tastiest new foods from around the Bay Area and beyond.
- To continue to bring fun, educational, and inspiring speakers to the market for our Around the Table series.
- To obtain our Zero Waste certification, a process that we started in 2016. This means diverting all recyclable and compostable materials from going to landfills.
- To start our Driver’s Green Team, dedicated to advancing the sustainability of the market and finding creative ways to motivate employees and customers to adopt more sustainable practices at home.
I think it’s important to remember that we can have an effect on the world by having an effect on the people around us. I feel so lucky to be surrounded by such talented and inspirational people at Driver’s Market, including our customers, without whom we would not exist. So with hope for the future and gratitude in my heart, I wish you a Happy New Year.